Though Advanced Center for Orthopedics and Plastic Surgery surgeons and specialists believe in offering a conservative approach to treatment, sometimes surgery is necessary to offer you the best outcome. Should your doctor recommend surgery, you should understand that you are in a highly specialized facility, whose surgeons and specialists are among the most highly trained and qualified in the region.
Guidelines For Surgery Preparation & Recovery at Advanced Center for Orthopedics and Plastic Surgery
Though Advanced Center for Orthopedics and Plastic Surgery surgeons’ believe in offering a conservative approach to treatment, sometimes surgery is necessary to offer you the best outcome.
Pre-Op Surgery Instructions
- You MUST bring a list of all your current medications and dosages with you to your pre-op history and physical (H&P) appointment and also bring the list with you to the hospital for your admission. Failure to do so may result in your surgery being DELAYED or CANCELLED.
- A representative from the Pre-Procedure Center (PPC) will contact you to set up an appointment to start your pre-admission process. They are located in the Peninsula Medical Center, Suite 136. Their phone number is 906-225-3290 or toll free at 800-562-9753, extension 3290.
- Nothing by mouth after midnight except water until two (2) hours prior to your scheduled arrival time (example: arrival time is 6:00 a.m.—do not eat after midnight—water ONLY until 4:00 a.m.
- Take only the medication you were instructed to take the morning of surgery with a sip of water.
- Do not wear contact lenses, makeup, nail polish, hairpins, barrettes, or jewelry the day of surgery.
- You may wear your dentures, hearing aids, or glasses the day of your surgery.
- If you are not of legal age, you must bring one of your parents or your legal guardian to the hospital the day of your surgery.
- Bring loose fitting clothing, personal items, slippers or walking shoes. If you have a walker, crutches, or cane, bring them with you to the hospital. Also bring any bracing or equipment dispensed by our office.
- Make all your transportation arrangements before the day of your scheduled surgery. You MUST have a driver upon discharge, and someone to stay with you for the first 24 hours.
- Call U.P. Health System-Marquette for your time of admission after 2:00 p.m. two business days before your procedure at 906-225-3290 or toll free at 800-562-9753, extension 3290.
Day of Surgery
The exact time of your surgery will be determined by the hospital the day before your surgery is scheduled for. Your arrival time should be at least one or two hours prior to your scheduled surgery time. This is because of necessary tasks, including registration, preparation, anesthesia, etc. Please note that surgery may be delayed or even canceled due to emergencies.
You will be scheduled for office visit(s) following your surgery before or at the time of discharge. Wear loose-fitting clothing with no metal to these appointments. This will help make your examination and/or X-ray more efficient and comfortable.